Adoption Update...Do You Want Some Free Wine???


As of today, we have been waiting 1 year...8 months...3 weeks...and 3 days to be matched with a child.  We officially started our paperwork 2 years...7 months...3 weeks...and 5 days ago.  So.very.long!

What does this have to do with free wine?  Read on...

My heart has been longing to do something to make a difference during this wait.  However, my toungue has been full of my usual excuses.   I have sat around and wallowed in my misery rather than step out in faith and try one small thing that could change the world.  This past summer Jen Hatmaker and several other Christian authors whom I greatly admire, traveled to Rwanda with the Noonday Collection.  Check our her blog about this titled, "Women Hold Up Half the Sky." Noonday is a company that sells jewelry and accessories created by artisans from around the world.  They are a member of the Fair Trade Federation.  It was started by a mother who wanted to raise money to adopt a child from Rwanda and it has grown into a company that uses trunk shows hosted by Noonday ambassadors around the United States.  The ambassadors are women who desire to provide a pathway out of poverty for the vulnerable.  I have been to, hosted, and purchased from a trunk show and I have seen the heart that the ambassadors and this company have for the vulnerable around the globe.

As I read through the stories of that team who traveled to Rwanda and have thought about the amazing example of Katie Davis and Amazima Ministries and what she was able to do for women in Uganda by teaching them how to make paper bead necklaces, I felt that tugging on my heart.  Karen, go and be part of that story.  But, I am super socially awkward and I would be too scared to actually book parties.  Karen, go and be part of that story.  I don't really have time, even though I watch more television than any English teacher should.  Karen, go and be part of that story.  I am really tired of sitting at home feeling useless.  Karen, go and be part of that story.  I am going to stir your heart to something else and this will be one of the ways that I provide.  

And then God did what He always does when we step out in faith...He made me bold.  This stirring in my heart was also occurring in my husband...no, he is not going to quit the wine industry and sell jewelry... and it is going to affect our adoption as well.

We aren't ready to share all of the details yet...you can guess, but we won't tell...hehe...but we have reason to believe that the end of our wait will be sooner than the projected timeline of another 5-7 years.  We have to make some changes to our dossier...this is the only hint that I am going to give you, but I promise that we will share more info soon!  The changes requires some update fees and paperwork.  Once we receive our referral...we don't know exactly how long this will be, but we hope sooner than later...we need to be ready with the following fairly quickly.  It will cost $8,000 upon referral...then about $5,000 for our 1st Trip...and another $6,000 for trip #2 to bring our child home.  Here is a more specific breakdown if you are interested. We have already paid all of the fees through dossier submission.   Ethiopia AWAA Fees

We are going to apply for every grant that we possibly can once our home study update is complete and put aside every penny that we possibly can...but we will also need a little help.  First, please pray for us as we make some big decisions as we update our home study.  Secondly, since we are going to need another $20,000 to bring our child home, we need people to partner with us financially.  We are so grateful for those of you who supported us both financially and through prayer during our paper chase and dossier submission.  We were able to raise $5,000 and save $9,000 to pay the dossier submission fee almost two years ago even though when we started that seemed like an impossible amount.  We have faith that God will once again provide the funds that we need and we can't wait to be amazed at His provision.  So...here is where that stirring in my heart comes in...

I have decided to partner with the Noonday Collection, not only because my heart longs to help alleviate poverty with entrepreneurship, but also to earn the money that we need to update our home study and then prepare for a referral and travel.  Noonday Collection's mission is to create economic opportunity for the vulnerable.  They partner with artisans in the developing world, empowering them to grow sustainable businesses.  By creating a marketplace for their goods, Noonday creates dignified jobs at living wages.  This allows artisans to earn more to support their families.

So then, what can you do?  Would you be willing to invite over some of your friends (I'll bring the wine) and host a Noonday Trunk Show?  When you host a trunk show you can earn free accessories, create opportunity for the vulnerable, and help bring our child home from Ethiopia as all profits that I make from my trunk shows will go directly towards our adoption costs.  With the holidays right around the corner, this is a great opportunity to shop with purpose for family, friends, teachers, etc.

Here are the steps:

1. Let me know that you want to host and we can set a date.  We can also do an online show if you do not live in California.  I am willing to travel to central and southern California if the dates work.

2. Choose your guests and invite them via email, Facebook, or any other method that you prefer.

3. I will bring the accessories and displays...and the wine...yes, here is where the free wine comes in...and all you have to do is provide some snacks.

4. We will enjoy a relaxed atmosphere filled with the stories of the Noonday Artisans, and we will try on the accessories!

If you want to check out the products, go to www.karensmith.noondaycollection.com.   If you don't want to host a show, please consider ordering online through my link.  But...shows are really fun...and come on people...free wine!!




CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top