Manicures...Heaven...and Hope...

If I close my eyes I can still see it clearly...a cozy kitchen with light filtering in through the windows...two dogs, one large and one small and fluffy...a cozy couch...my grandfather's chair...a freshly constructed nail painting station...these are the images that I remember.  My sister claims that I remember more about my early childhood than most people, and perhaps that is true.  Yet, what I remember seems to be more snapshots and feelings than anything else, but these moments and these feelings shape everything for me. 

I love to paint my nails...it is a time of calm filled with the possibly brought by a new shade and a new look, and I distinctly remember where that love originated.  Trips to Grandma and Grandpa Gorman's house meant that I would be pampered to the fullest.  Breakfast brought orange juice and hot chocolate, days were spent playing with their dogs and sitting with my grandfather in his comfy chair, and nights brought manicures with more shades of pink than a little girl could dare to dream of before being tucked into bed by my grandmother.  We would talk about Jesus and I would fall asleep with her prayers still on my ears.  I was loved.  I was safe.  I had beautiful nails.  

My grandmother became a widow earlier than she would have ever dreamed and it was at my grandfather's memorial that I learned about the true power of redemption. I had experienced a dream the night before the memorial that was more than a dream...it was an impression in my soul and I knew that my grandfather was in heaven and it was okay.  Somewhere in between the snapshots of brightly colored life savers from my uncle, listening to George Michael's "Father Figure," in the car, and borrowing my cousin's emerald ring to go with my bright blue dress, I told my grandmother about my dream.   She explained to me that love could heal anyone and that the love that surpasses understanding was the reason that I had that dream.  My grandfather was with his Savior.  I was too little to understand at the time, but I knew that this was big.  This was love in its fullness.  Love overcomes everything.  

Over the next several years, my grandmother spent some time living with us, and living close to us before she left California, and one message always rang true.  This place is not our home and we need to be ready for that.  Heaven was too big and complex and far away for me to fully grasp this concept at the time, but she knew that this was a message that needed to be told.  We spent time visiting friends of hers who just needed company, and helped out neighbors with tasks around their homes.  There are snapshots of watering plants, delivering meals, and house sitting in order to care for dogs.  As I grew older and fell madly in love with my Savior, I suddenly felt the magnitude of this message.  We were created to love, and to serve, and to do so no matter what position we find ourselves in, and no matter how hard the future may be.  Heaven is coming too fast and I want to meet my Savior with scars and scratches because I gave everything for Him.  This was what my grandmother wanted me to comprehend.  Heaven is right around the corner and we need to love with every resource available to us.  

I cherish each snapshot of the memories that we shared...shopping to find the perfect outfit when she visited my husband and me in Napa, seeing her dancing the night away at my wedding, cards sent when I was in college and didn't think that the loneliness would ever go away, her prayers for the little boy that we hope will one day find his way into our family from Ethiopia...her life was not easy, but she never stopped loving and she never stopped praying.  

As an adult, I realized that the orange juice was really pineapple orange, and the hot chocolate was really coffee mocha...but my grandmother loved with whatever resources she had.  There was something about those painted nails that made me feel ready to change the world.  May I walk through the rest of my life here on earth in that spirit...always giving...always reaching out.  May I do a better job loving the widow, and the orphan, and the poor, and the oppressed...because heaven is just a breath away.  

In loving memory of Barbara Gorman 
June 29, 1931- October 13, 2015


CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top